Tuesday, January 18, 2011

How it Started

I think Josh and I have a pretty unique story- but I suppose everyone thinks that they and their beloved's story is pretty remarkable. Ok ladies (and those of you gentlemen readers), buckle up! This is  a looooong story:

Josh and I started dating in April of 2009, however, our story begins wayyyyy before that. Our story started many many years ago when we were just little kids. I had a best friend, Erin, with whom I spent a lot of time. I lived across the road, so we played together frequently, had slumber parties often, and went on trips together. One of these trips was overnight to a hotel in a town about half an hour away - a pretty exciting prospect when you live in a small town. We were in fourth or fifth grade at this point, so the prospect of hanging out at an indoor pool was pretty exciting. Along with Erin’s family, her mom’s best friend was coming and bringing her kids, too. She had a son, Josh, and a daughter, Ashley, so they joined us as we swam in the pool and ate junk food in the hotel room. Little did I know, this was the first time I was hanging out with my future husband and sister-in-law!

As we grew up, I spent more and more time with Erin’s family, and because their moms were such good friends, Josh would be at Erin’s house quite often. I got to know him casually, nothing big. We weren’t best friends or anything; he was just someone I knew through Erin. As high school rolled around, we even had a few classes together. Both of us were into architecture – Josh because he wanted to design and build houses, and me because I wanted to be an interior designer. We had a few classes together, but never sat close to one another and rarely talked to each other. High school passed without one ounce of flirting or attraction between the two of us – we knew each other, but it ended at that.

After being gone away to college for 4 years, I accepted a promotion and ended up working back in my hometown. One night, I ran into Josh at the local fair in town (it’s kind of a big deal in my home town… like a huge deal), and we struck up a conversation. I was immediately intrigued. The next day, I knew he would be back at the fair, so I pretty much stalked the grounds trying to find him. (not something I’m proud of, and still something I get teased about. A lot.) I found him. We talked. I got his number. I was stoked.

We went to a rodeo for our first-first date (I’ll explain what first-first means later), and then walked around the fair. It was a classic, adorable hometown first date. We went out a few times after that, but I found out through a friend of a friend that he wasn’t interested. Honestly, I was crushed… I liked him!

Fast forward two years to April of 09: my best friend Erin’s sister is getting married. I figured Josh would be at the wedding but didn’t think much of it. The ceremony was small and was mostly family, so I ended up sitting with my friend’s boyfriend, who happened to be sitting next to Josh. We chatted a little bit for the first time since we parted ways two years earlier. Later on at the reception, we both had had a few drinks from the open bar and started dancing together – a lot. We were practically inseparable the entire night. As we parted ways, he said he would call but I didn’t really believe him.
 Candid pictures from the night we "reconnected" (since we had already met). Can you tell we've had a few drinks?

Imagine my surprise when I got a text from him the next day. A few days later he asked me out on what would be our second-first date. Since then, we’ve been going strong! We often talk about how strange it is that we’ve known each other for so long. He makes fun of me for stalking him during the first time we attempted dating, and I bust him for asking me out via text. 

 
Our most recent picture, almost 2 years later :)

It’s been almost two years of fun and I can’t wait to see what else is in store for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment