Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Christmas on Thanksgiving... and a little Bling

Before I get too carried away talking about wedding plans, I should probably tell the story of how our engagement went! Josh was sneaky, which is something I definitely wasn't expecting...

The weekend after Thanksgiving Josh and I took a short overnight trip up to Bay City, MI to visit some of my friends. We made plans to go out for dinner at one of my favorite restaurants and then meet up with my friends later for drinks and catching up. As we planned the trip I thought about how perfect a setting it would be for a proposal. Bay City is beautiful, and is one of my favorite places to visit, so it just seemed like a great place to get engaged.  At this point, I knew that Josh had saved up the amount of money needed to pay cash for my ring, but I was sure he hadn’t actually purchased it yet. (He’s not very good at keeping secrets… or so I thought). As we sat at dinner, my sister kept texting me asking if he had proposed yet. He hadn’t. Then, during drinks with my friends, she texted me again. Still no ring. I wasn’t really expecting it though, because like I said, I was sure he wouldn’t be able to keep a secret once he had the ring purchased. The night came and went and my left ring finger was still bare.

The next morning we woke up and planned to go to Bronner’s, a ginormous store that sells nothing but Christmas stuff. We had gone the year before and purchased a personalized ornament commemorating the day of our first date. 
 Our ornament from last year

As we sat in the hotel room getting ready, we discussed what date we would put on this year’s ornament. I suggested just putting the year 2010 on it, since we didn’t really have a special date for the year. Josh had a different idea. I was typing away on my laptop when I heard the words, “Or we could put an engagement date on it…” I looked over to see him on one knee with the most beautiful ring I could have ever imagined. I immediately started doing this strange mix of school-girl giggle and crying. I’m sure it wasn’t pretty. So we made the phone calls to family and friends and then headed to Bronner’s to get our personalized ornament made. 


On the way home, Josh made me pull over so he could drive – he said I was too distracted from looking at my ring to make it safely home. And he was right. I stare at it all the time, still! I love it, I love him, and I love the way he asked me to be his wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment