Monday, April 25, 2011

I'm probably a little crazy...

but I'm afraid to pick up my wedding dress.

A few days ago my cell phone rang. Now, I should probably preface this story by explaining that since Josh and I live in the Middle of Nowhere, we have horrible cell phone reception. It's virtually impossible to have a phone call with someone without the call dropping in a few minutes. However, we have a window in our kitchen that seems to get better (about one bar of signal) service, so if we do answer a phone call at home, we usually press ourselves up against that window so we can actually hear.
Just add a cell phone and this is what I look like... Source


So now that you have that nice visual...

My cell phone rang. I grabbed it, said hello, and rushed over to my window spot. Unfortunately, I could barely hear the person (it didn't help that Diesel, my dog, felt the need to bark at something out the window at that very moment). All I could hear was, "Hi... dress in.... appointment..." mixed in with a bunch of static. I immediately felt a pang of panic, blubbered the words, "Hi... huh?... oh, ok.... yeah thanks," (which, in retrospect, sounds a lot more rude than I hope it came across).

My dress is in. (I posted my lovely here)

Um... ok that was fast. A million thoughts raced through my head:
What if I don't like it anymore?
What if it doesn't fit?
I don't have wedding shoes!!
I don't have wedding.. ahem... undergarments!!
Why didn't I eat more celery sticks and less Reese's Easter Eggs? (sidenote: Isn't Easter Candy amaaazing!)
Where am I going to keep this huge dress?
What if Josh sees it?
And so on... you get the picture.

Then I decided that I must be insane. What bride is afraid to pick up her wedding dress? All the brides I talk to or read about are more than excited to see their dress in the flesh. But why not me? After all, I fell in love with it almost instantaneously. Every time I see it in a magazine I get butterflies. But still, it just seems so strange to me that it's here!

So I'm working up my nerve to go pick it up. I think I'm ready, I just have to figure out a time that works. I think this was my reality check. It's like this wedding is actually happening, and in less than four months! I'm sure my anxiety will subside once I actually try the dress on. Here's hoping!

Did you have a wedding 'reality check?' Were you afraid to get your dress (please tell me I'm not alone here!)? What part of your wedding gave you anxiety that you weren't expecting?

No comments:

Post a Comment