Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Babies, Bells, and Spider - My Floral Inpsiration

January through April is probably the most popular time for bridal shows, at least in Mid-Michigan. I think there is one almost every weekend during these months. Although I already had my major vendors booked, I convinced Josh that we needed to go a bridal show. And he played along. I bribed him with the fact that we could sample cake, look at limos, and check out honeymoon locales. And of course, the venue served beer, so that helped Josh make his decision. I wasn’t expecting to find anything of use, but I did want to see some décor ideas and have a chance to show Josh some of the things we had been talking about.

One thing that I was thankful for was all of the florist displays. I plan to do my own flowers, but I really don’t know what I want. I had visions in my head of large tufts of baby’s breath, like this picture. I love the simplicity of the arrangement and the whimsical touch it gives.
source

But at the bridal show, I was introduced to two other flowers that I’m starting to crush on:

Bells of Ireland
source
source
I loooooove the height of the Bells of Ireland, and I adore the cutesy shape. I’ve thought about submerging them in vases or using them as greenery in bouquets and arrangements. Once I googled them, I found they’re more common than I thought. Apparently I’m the last person on Earth to have noticed these flowers… or plants. Are they a flower or a plant? I guess there’s not a flower-y part, so maybe they’re just greenery? 

I digress…

The other flower I'm loving is  the Spider Mum, preferably in green.
source
source

How freaking perfect are spider mums! They’re funky but still pretty, and they’re not too expensive (super bonus!!) Plus, they’re one of the few flowers that come in the shade of green I love. Of course, the white blooms are gorgeous as well.

I’m still trying to find a flower that comes in a shade of teal. I’m not sure I’ll ever find it, but I’d at least like to incorporate that color into the floral arrangements in some way. Some people have suggested peacock feathers. While I’m a fan of feathers incorporated into floral arrangements, I’d like to something different, something unique. I’m still mulling this over in my head. 

However, my mind may be changing quickly, because how amazing is this centerpiece??
source
Love, love, love super tall and simple centerpieces. Ahhhh inspiration!

What was your floral inspiration? Any ideas about how I can incorporate dark teal into my green and white bouquets in a unique way?

No comments:

Post a Comment