Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Lovely Ladies

Choosing my bridesmaids was one of the easiest and hardest things I’ve had to do for this wedding. I’ve always known who I wanted to stand up with me. I’ve got a core group of friends that I’ve known since middle school, and even one whom I’ve known since I was 3! It was a no-brainer to have those girls by my side. What was difficult was drawing the line at 6 girls. I didn’t want a huge wedding party, so I decided that six girls was my max, and six even seems big to me! It was hard because I’m excluding girls who I’ve been friends with for years, but haven’t kept in touch with. The hardest part was not including my friends who have had me in their weddings. I’ve been in 3 weddings of friends who will not be standing up with me. I feel extremely guilty about it, and I know I’m partially to blame for not staying in touch, too. It’s just an awkward feeling to think that maybe someone was expecting me to ask them to be a bridesmaid, and I didn’t do it. I sincerely hope they don’t take it personally and that they understand why I made my decision.

So who are the ladies who will be by my side?

 Lindsey – The one I’m related to
Lindsey , my sister, is 3 years younger than me, and although we’ve had our differences (usually differences of opinion during our teenage years regarding whether or not she should wear my clothes) we’ve become close over the last few years. She jumps at any chance to dog-sit for us, and usually brings lots of food over, too. She will be my Maid of Honor.
Erin – The one I’ve known forever
I’ve known Erin longer than I’ve known my own sister. Erin grew up across the street from me and we’ve been friends since we were toddlers. Her mom is friends with Josh’s mom, too, so it all just works. This picture was taken at Erin's wedding last September.

Jenna – The one I drink wine with
We met in 6th grade art class and have been pretty much inseparable ever since. Sometimes I think we’re the same person living in 2 bodies! Jenna and I are wine connoisseurs (translation: we like to go wine tasting but couldn’t tell you anything about how it ‘finishes’ or what type of ‘bouquet’ a glass has), and she is my sushi friend. This picture was taken on our annual wine tasting voyage to Traverse City, MI. 

Ashley – The one who’s becoming my new sister
Ashley and I are both studying to become teachers, so we tend to have a lot in common when it comes to discussion. Thankfully, we get along wonderfully – I’m so glad I don’t have to deal with nightmare in-laws!
Ashley – The one who is my planning partner.
I met Ashley in 7th grade, and we’ve spent a lot of time together over the last 10+ years. She’s also the mama to one of my ring bearers, Carter. Ashley is getting married in May this year, and we’ve been sharing planning secrets for a few months, now. 

Heather – The sister I’m not related to
Heather is my [step]sister but we’ve practically been family since I was 10. She’s like a big sister to me, and she always knows how to have a good time! Oh, and this beauty of a picture - this was Heather's senior prom night. I was in 8th grade and Lindsey was in 5th. Such a long time ago...

I’m so excited for each one of these girls to be next to me on my wedding day. I love them all so much and they mean the world to me.

How did you choose your bridesmaids? Did you have any residual guilt about not choosing someone?

No comments:

Post a Comment